So you’ve decided to embark on an epic adventure exploring the good ol’ US of A. Congrats! There’s no place quite like it. From the eclectic culture of New York City to the natural wonders of Yosemite National Park, America has something for everyone. But to make the most of your trip and not end up lost in the shuffle of tourists, there are a few insider tips you should know.
We’ve got the scoop on how to navigate the diverse terrain, sample the regional cuisines without going broke, and capture those Instagram-worthy moments. Whether you’re road tripping Route 66 or wandering the Vegas strip, read on to discover how to do America like a savvy traveler. The open road is calling your name!
Pack Smart: Essential Items to Bring on Your American Adventure
Packing the essentials for your US adventure will make all the difference. Some must-haves:
- Comfortable walking shoes – You’ll be on your feet a lot exploring cities and nature. Bring sneakers, sandals, and maybe hiking boots.
- Light jacket – Even in summer, evenings can get chilly. A light windbreaker or rain jacket will come in handy.
- Chargers and adapters – The US uses different plugs, so bring an adapter and charger for your electronics.
- Day bag – Carry a lightweight backpack to hold essentials while out sightseeing.
- Camera – Capture amazing memories of the stunning landscapes and city scenes. Extra memory cards and batteries are a good idea.
- US dollars – While cards are widely accepted, cash is king for small purchases and tips. Exchange currency or use ATMs when you arrive.
Don’t forget your ID, passport, tickets, and any required visas. Make copies in case anything gets lost or stolen.
Pack for a range of weather and modest attire for religious sites. T-shirts, shorts, pants, sundresses, and pajamas should cover you for most of your trip.
- Medicines – Bring any prescription drugs in their original bottles, plus basics like pain relievers, antihistamines, antacids, hand sanitizer, tissues, etc.
- Travel pillow – For long flights and bus rides. A blanket or pashmina can double as an extra layer or pillow.
- Toiletries – All your usual items plus hand cream, lip balm, wet wipes, hand sanitizer, and any other favorites. Buy bigger items once you arrive to save space.
With some strategic packing, you’ll have an amazing adventure exploring the diverse landscapes and vibrant cities of the US. The essentials will see you through, and any extras you need you can pick up along the way!
Staying Safe: Key Safety Tips for Traveling in the US
To stay safe while traveling in the US, there are a few tips to keep in mind.
Watch your belongings
Pickpocketing and petty theft do happen, so keep a close eye on your luggage, purses, wallets and electronics, especially in crowded tourist areas and public transit. Never leave bags unattended. Consider using a money belt under your clothes for important documents and cash.
Be aware of your surroundings
Whether exploring a new city or hiking in nature, pay attention to where you are and who’s around you. Avoid less populated or poorly lit areas, especially at night. Don’t display valuables or cash openly. Sadly, violent crime can happen anywhere, so trust your instincts. If a situation feels off, remove yourself to a safe location with lots of people around.
Obey the law
Learn about local laws to avoid legal trouble. For example, jaywalking and public intoxication are illegal in some places. Marijuana may be legal in some states but remains illegal under federal law. If confronted by police, remain calm and polite.
Health & medical care
Purchase comprehensive travel medical insurance in case of illness or injury. Carry details of any pre-existing conditions. Prescription meds should be in original containers with labels. Tap water is usually safe to drink, but bottled water is readily available if preferred.
By taking normal safety precautions, you’ll feel more at ease exploring all the wonders the US has to offer. Common sense and vigilance can help ensure your trip is memorable for all the right reasons. With an open and friendly attitude, you’ll experience the very best of American culture, nature and adventure.
The US has so much to offer, so now get out there and experience it all for yourself! This is your chance to make memories that will last a lifetime. Have an amazing trip and enjoy every second of exploring the diverse beauty of America. The open road is calling your name!